Legal Research Law



Share |

Filing a chapter 13 bankruptcy, how do I get started?


The first thing you must do is file a simple, two-page form called a "Petition" in court asking for relief under chapter 13 bankruptcy. The form must be signed by you and any other debtors filing with you such as a spouse. 


The court will provide a "docket number" which is another way of saying your case number. This docket number can stop foreclosure proceedings and most other actions except those allowed by motion in the bankruptcy court. 


The third thing that happens is about 7 - 10 days after submitting your Matrix, you'll need to submit a plan outlining exactly how you propose to reorganize under chapter 13. This plan includes your income, liabilities, all assets, monthly expenses, past financial history and evidence that you are capable of fulfilling your financial obligations under your plan. 


Back to Chapter 13 Bankruptcy FAQ  


View all Chapter 7 Bankruptcy FAQ


View all General Bankruptcy FAQ

Legal Research Law Video View all Bankruptcy Law & Debt Relief Videos